Wednesday, June 21, 2017

First adjustment and Week 11

So I had my first adjustment today! It was pretty exciting, considering it was my first time going back to the orthodontist for an adjustment since getting my braces placed on 10 weeks ago.

There were definitely some changes that were made, and I am feeling those new changes as I type. It feels like I'm back to the day when I first got my braces on, and had to learn everything from brushing, flossing to eating. Though it's not as dramatic this time around as I've already figured out the brushing and flossing and eating...but I suspect all adjustments will have an (haha) adjustment period. After all, I did not expect to move my teeth and have them straighten without some discomfort and inconvenience along the way.

So I got my wires, both top and bottom, swapped out. The old wires, as I predicted, have done their jobs, and are no longer needed. Instead I got a rectangular wire on the top, and a new circular wire on the bottom, and both are stiffer than the flexible circular wires I had on. I also got new elastics, as well as a new configuration for the said elastics. No new turbos were placed on despite me showing the orthodontist and the assistant that my right canine is touching my bottom tooth...the orthodontist said that it was normal and that my bite is going to be constantly changing now, so there isn't much he can do. Gotta live with it I guess. And lastly, the new wires are threaded all the way through to the back molars, whereas my previous wires weren't (something about the flexible starter wire doesn't have enough strength).

As soon as the new wires were clipped in, I felt an increase in pressure on my teeth, as well as pressure from where the elastic hooks onto my teeth. The good news about the new elastics is that I only need to wear two instead of four, but the bad news is that the new configuration is a bit harder to do than my old one. I suppose like with all things braces, I'll just have to learn to deal with it. I'm officially back to soft foods as I can't reasonably chew with my molars (due to the fact that they now are being moved), and I can't reasonably bite with my incisors, so I'm back to the good ol' mashing and swallowing.

At the same time, I'm looking forward to the changes these new wires will bring!

My teeth prior to being braced

Week 10 for comparison purposes

Week 11, post adjustment. New wires on top and bottom, and different elastics configuration. Now on Class III elastics!

My previous elastic size.

My current elastics size.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Life after braces