Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Things I Leaned (So Far)

Think I'm going to start another "segment" on this blog (as of now, my other "segment" is going to be the week by week progress) aptly titled Things I Learned (So far). I've had braces for...a little over a week now, and there has been quite a few things that I've learned since getting the braces on. And because I like to overshare on the internet, I'll impart my wisdom to whoever stumbles upon my blog (and hopefully be entertained/educated from my musings). And so, these are the things that I've learned so far, arranged in no particular order whatsoever.

1) Let's just get it out there, elastics and bite blocks suck. But, you do get used to them. I'm not saying they'll feel natural to you...because come on, braces, elastics and bite blocks are as natural as a snail without its shell, but overtime, your mouth and teeth stops registering them as "foreign objects" to you. I don't even feel my bite blocks most of the time, and the pressure from the elastics aren't as terrible as it was when I first got them.

2) Putting on elastics can be a pain in the ass. I have no idea how people can hook them on using just their fingers. I have enough troubles as it is using the tool that came with the elastics. But after a lot of trail and error, I think I've found a way that consistently works.

3) Brushing is definitely different and weird with braces on. Toothbrush definitely gets ruined a lot faster, due to the bristles being snagged by the brackets. And there's the fact that not only are you cleaning your teeth, you're also cleaning your brackets and wires. Flossing went from a 5 minute thing to a 15 minute thing, turning it from a mild inconvenience to a massive bitch. Threading the floss underneath the wire for flossing is definitely something I'm looking forward to not doing once the braces are off.

4) Eating becomes a thing you have plan around. Snacking goes right out the window, unless it's with a meal. You really start to think and plan your oral intake on a daily basis when you have braces on...especially if it means fiddling around with elastics each and every time you eat. So what if shrimps from a shrimp ring, chicken noodle soup and tomatoes don't exactly go together? You eat what you can when you have the elastics off.

5) I never realized just how much food debris gets trapped inside my mouth after eating. I never used to brush after I eat, but now, if I don't, it doesn't feel clean.The mouth is a truly disgusting place after eating.

6) I'd like to think that my oral hygiene have drastically improved since getting braces, what with me actually flossing once a day, and brushing twice a day and after every meal.

7) Dry lips are a reality that comes with braces. I don't know why my lips are so dry ever since getting braces, but they are. Regular chapstick isn't cutting it either. Vaseline seems to do the trick, but I bought Carmex, and I'm going to give that a try. Dry mouth seem to be a thing too, that comes with braces.

8) The lisp that I got after getting braces is thankfully, only temporarily. There are still the occasional words I struggle with, but the lisp, for the most part, is gone.

9) I never knew how much I used to use my front teeth to tear into food....I seem to use my front teeth to eat just about everything it seems like. But now that I can't (and I've tried. Sinking my front teeth into food hurts, so it's a no go), I've definitely developed new ways to eat. Chewing with my back molar, crushing food against the roof my mouth, and just plain swallowing things are my go to methods now. I never realized just how much food you can swallow without biting or chewing on them.

10) Braces is one of those things where it gets worse before it gets better, and it tests my patience. I know it will be worth it but...sometimes, I just want to take them out and be done with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life after braces