Wednesday, October 10, 2018

This may be my third last appointment ever...

So I went to the orthodontist today.

And from the way things are sounding, I could be two appointments away from getting the braces off. Which, is pretty damn amazing when I think about it. I still think it depends on if that gap between my right upper central and lateral incisor will close in time, but I think my orthodontist is trying to close that by using elastics.

The appointment itself was fairly uneventful as far as appointments go. I went in, didn't have to wait too long before I was called in. The tech took off the powerchains and the wire ligatures, and then the orthodontist came by to assess things. Did all the usual opening and closing of my mouth, and he did the usual prodding and looking. I've got no idea what he's really looking at, but I'm guessing it's my bite, how the teeth are mashing together, molar relations, stuff like that. I got bends placed in my top wire, at the spots between my canines and lateral incisors. Got the wire placed back in (yup, totally felt the tech put the wire back in. That would be the bends at work!), and new powerchains on (and yup, definitely felt the powerchains over the wire!). Got one new elastic configuration added to what I already have, and new bags of elastics. Made my appointment for next time, and that was it. Really not a labour intensive or long appointment by any stretch of imagination.

The good news? The orthodontist is planning on doing molds for retainers during my next appointment. Which is why next appointment will be a longer one, clocking in at 40 minutes. Even better news? After the molds are made, braces will come off within a few weeks. Which, by my vague estimations, I could potentially have the braces off by the end of the year, seeing as my next appointment is on Nov 30. Adding a few weeks takes us to middle/end of December...so if everything works out well, these brackets, wires, and elastics will be a thing of the past soon. Which brings us to the crux of the problem--if everything works out well.

I still have the IPR gap between my upper right central and lateral incisor. The orthodontist place bends in the top wire in an effort to bring the teeth down, and he also instructed me to wear anterior box elastic configuration at night on top of my posterior box configurations. I'm thinking that the anterior box will bring the front teeth down, which could help to close the gap. At least, I think that's what he's planning on. It can't be for open bites, because I've got none.

Currently I'm wearing my elastics and...everything just feels so tight. I could hardly open my mouth, but I guess that's the point of the anterior box elastic. I trust my orthodontist and that he knows what he's doing...but god damn, I want these things off already! I really am in the home stretch of braces now, so I'll keep on wearing these elastics religiously!

Can't wait to have these things off and I can eat all the things I haven't been able to eat. Braces are worth every single sacrifice that comes with it....but that's not to say that wearing braces is easy or fun. And I know that retainers will be a long term thing that I'll deal with...but a $3719 smile isn't something I'm willing to mess up on. Especially since it's my own hard earned money!

Anteior box configuration, we meet again. Hopefully you'll help to close the gap!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that your ortho takes impressions while you are still in braces. Mine took the impression for my fixed lower retainer while in braces but only takes impressions for Essix once de-braced. I got my lowers off yesterday and the fixed lower retainer on, and I couldn't be happier. No more elastics! Of course I am terrified of relapse, but not too much I can do about it now. Uppers come off on 10/29, fourteen months after getting them on. Not a very long time in the scheme of things -- but way longer than the 8-10 months originally predicted by my ortho. I think he told me what I wanted to hear. Good luck in the final stages of your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete

Life after braces