Thursday, July 12, 2018

Another trip to the orthodontist

I went in for my regular check up appointment with the orthodontist today, and I think things are definitely closer to being in the "finished" side of things now.

As you probably figured out, there just isn't much in terms of movement and changes now. Not that I expect there to be. After all, I'm in "finishing" archwires, and I really don't think that major movements are expected when one is in the finishing stage of braces. Just small tweaks and fine tuning, working on the bite, and making everything as perfect as it could be before the braces go off. So based on that, I figured that I must be in the home stretch of things now....and after today's appointment, I think I'm a bit closer to the end now.

Realistically I don't know how long I still have in braces, but based on what my orthodontist and the tech said today, it's sooner rather than later.

So today, we worked on bringing in my upper central incisors as those are still a bit flared out. I actually think that's all we have to work on now. My bite is good, as per the orthodontist. Goddamn, I knew that religiously wearing those annoying as fuck posterior box elastics on the molars would pay off. And today, it did. The orthodontist and the tech were impressed by how my bite has changed, and the orthodontist even said that my teeth respond well to elastics, and they move fast under the influence of elastics. Now, I don't know if my teeth really move that fast due to elastics, or they show noticeable movement directed by the elastics because I wear them religiously. I'd like to think it's more the latter than former, because I am one super compliant elastics wearer. But either way, it's good that my teeth respond well elastics wear. It's also good when the orthodontist and tech notice the difference in your teeth due to your religious elastics wear.

I'm not completely in the clear in terms of elastics yet. I have to still wear the bilateral posterior box configuration on the molars...but only at night time, when I sleep. Fuck yeah. I can do that. Anything is better than full time elastic wear for that particular configuration of elastics. So in that regards, I'm quite happy about the "upgrade" in elastics wear. At least it will be less annoying now. I can just, for the most part, be without elastics, which is pretty freeing.

To bring my upper central incisors in, the orthodontist did a bit more IPR on my front four teeth today (still feels weird as fuck when he does it. It doesn't hurt. Just a vibration between the teeth. But it feels weird). I also got wire ties placed on my upper back teeth....I'm not exactly sure which ones. I think it's the first molar to the first premolar on both sides. But again, not sure. And it's hard to tell when I look in the mirror. The point of that is to keep those teeth together, at least, that's what the tech told me. I can sort of feel them, just a bit of extra pressure in the back. But nothing serious. In addition, the powerchain on my top teeth is done differently in an effort to help bring the central incisors back. Instead of the powerchain being looped around every bracket as usual, this time, the orthodontist wanted the powerchain to be under the bracket for the front four teeth. So we're basically using the powerchain as a sling of sorts, to pull the front teeth back. Hopefully it works. But we'll see what happens when I next go in in August.

Cute anecdote: The kid beside me got told that he will get his braces off in three weeks, and the tech turned to me and said "That will be you soon!". I hope she is right! I feel like we're definitely in the end zone of the home stretch now, and I just hope it won't take much longer! Still hoping for the 18 month projected "deadline" as opposed to the 24, but once again, only time will tell.

The powerchain is now under the bracket on my upper central and lateral incisors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life after braces